The Basics of Brain Functioning
Alliant International University ~ San Francisco
10:00am-2:30pm ~ 4 HRs CE Credit
is an academic psychiatrist who enjoys teaching complex neurochemistry
and making it accessible and relevant to mental health practitioners.
She has taught about brain functioning to therapists in training
through her roles as Associate Director of Consultation-Liaison
Psychiatry at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California.
She was formerly Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at UCLA and is now at
UCSF. Her expertise in psychopharmacology has also been utilized by
definitive resources for physicians and nurses such as Medscape,
ConsultantLive and Nurses’ Newswire.
health disorders and their treatment can be fascinating and easier to
understand when explained by the right person. Learn the basics of
brain functioning and the mechanisms of action of the medications that
Join popular psychiatrist and national speaker, Alicia Ruelaz, M.D.
as she breaks down detailed scientific information into easily
understood descriptions. With her engaging style, you’ll gain the
knowledge to be able to converse with your clients in terms of brain
functionality and assist them in managing their treatment options from
You will be able to:
1. Describe the brain changes that occur in mental health
2. Summarize medication treatment options available for each mental
3. Explain how the various medication options work; and
4. Recognize the best treatment option for a particular client and
evaluate its effectiveness
1. Neurochemistry and Neuroanatomy Basics
2. Brain Dysfunction, the basis of Psychiatric Disorders
3. Available Agents, Standard Medications to the Latest Available
4. Mechanisms of Action, how the Medications Work
1. This class is part of the CE at Alliant Access to Expertise
program. Registering and taking part in the class entitles
you to one Case Consultation at no charge with Dr Ruelaz about a
issue related to the topic of the class.
2. A brief form for describing the issue and providing relevant
background will be provided at the class. Please
keep the focus of the consultation as specific as possible -- the Case
Consultation is limited to one-half hour.
3. The no-charge Access to Expertise consultation
should be requested within six months of attending this class.
4. The goal of the Access to Expertise
program is to continue support for using new skills into the real world
after the official training is over.
5. CE at Alliant will not be involved clinically or financially
in the no-charge Access to Expertise
consultation or subsequent case consultations, if any. The
only role of CE at Alliant is to enable access in a way that
strengthens the training we provide.